Tuesday, January 31, 2006

New Traditions

A few years ago, I barely knew anything about Chinese New Year. Big surprise, right?

However, with the help of Jonas and other Chinese friends, I have been learning about this complicated and interesting holiday.

This Chinese New Year, I did not go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant (only because the two Chinese restaurants in my small town get way too many unwelcome visits from the Health Department)

However, I did wear bright colors all day and I even refrained from washing my hair.

I also talked to Jonas' mom and dad and said "gung hay fat choy" to the best of my "gwuy muy" ability. I am sometimes scared to speak Chinese with my white girl accent, but Jonas' parents seemed very happy, especially since it is so important to get in touch with friends and family and send them warm and hopeful wishes during Chinese New Year. (See Jonas, I am learning.)



Learning and practicing new cultural traditions is truly an exciting part of being in a cross-cultural relationship.

I am doing my best to practice the traditions of Chinese New Year, but I am left wondering... Where are my (cash, money) red envelopes???

2 Comments:

Blogger serene said...

happy lunar new year melanie! welcome to our world!! love that picture by the way- really cute :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger YongKim said...

Hey, finally, my first official visit!

I didn't know eating shrimp has such meaning in China. In Korea, unless you eat a ricecake soup, you don't get an year older. It is a tradition that every family starts their first day of the year with ricecake soup. Try it next time you visit a Korean restaurant.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home