Monday, April 24, 2006

National Dance Week

When I discovered that this week was Bay Area National Dance Week, I was of course, totally excited. Events include a conga line through downtown SF, dance classes, open rehearsals and performances, and dance parties. But the best part of all is that all of the events are FREE.

Although we missed the conga line, Jonas and I were able to attend two open rehearsals this Saturday.

We watched the San Francisco Ballet practice technique in an open rehearsal. When I was in college, I took dance class and/or had practice almost every day, so it was interesting to see a professional ballet technique class. The rehearsal was actually quite similar to the ballet classes that I have taken. Cameras and recording devices were not allowed, but Jonas snuck a few shots at the end of the rehearsal.

We also watched Company C Contemporary Ballet practice some of their works for future performances. I found out that Jonas enjoys classical ballet, but is not a fan of modern dance. (Yeah, the Paul Taylor piece was a little strange, but you can't stop thinking about it, can you Jonas?)

Anyway, this is the sneaky picture from the end of the SF Ballet practice. (The actual practice was much more eventful.)

















And here is a picture of Company C dancing their tushes off.
















Oh, how I wish I could go back in time, start taking dance at an early age, grow five extra inches, and become a real dancer....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home